Everyone at RCM-SAR Station 33 Oak Bay is a volunteer, and we are always looking for new members to join us. All are welcome!
There are two ways that you can become involved, as a supporting member or as search and rescue (SAR) crew.
Volunteering as a Supporting Member
Supporting members perform a number of important roles that keep our station and fundraising society operating smoothly. Supporting members have the option of serving as search and rescue crew on our vessels.
You might be a good fit as a supporting member, if you have an interest or a skill in one of the following areas:
- Event Planning
- Boating Safety
- Board Work
- Public Relations
Volunteering as Search and Rescue (SAR) crew
Becoming an active crew member on search and rescue missions requires specific skills, training, and commitment above all. New crew members are selected by our Recruitment Officer and spend the bulk of the first year at the station training to become full crew.
Requirements for joining as search and rescue crew:
- Pleasure Craft Operator’s Certificate (PCOC)
- Restricted Radio Operator’s Certificate (RROC)
- Marine / Standard First Aid and CPR/AED Level C (SFA-C)
- Criminal Record Check (CRC)
- Able to commit to regular monthly training (classroom and on the water)
- Reliable and able to commit to be on call for multiple day or night shifts per week
- Live within 15 minutes of Oak Bay Marina
- Capable of handling the physical demands of SAR operations in all sea and weather conditions
- Able to make a two-year commitment to the Station
- Boating experience and knowledge of the local waters around the southern Vancouver Island area, specifically Oak Bay.
Some of our crew members eventually become coxswains and are responsible for the safe operation of the boat on rescue missions. Coxswains receive additional training at the RHIOT School in Bamfield and at the regional RCM-SAR headquarters in Sooke on Vancouver Island.
How do I volunteer?
For Supporting Member inquiries contact our Society President.
For all other inquiries contact us.
Our Mailing Address:
Oak Bay Sea Rescue Society / RCMSAR Station 33 – Oak Bay
PO Box 5624, LCD 9
Victoria, BC V8R 6S4
+1 (250) 896.2625